Luang Prabang To Nong Khiaw Escape - 3 Days. Nestled amidst towering limestone mountains on the banks of the Ou River, it enjoys one of the best locations in northern Laos. It also acts as a perfect base from which to strike out a number of activities including exploration of Phathok Cave and hikes into its picturesque hinterland.
- Encounter the rich cultural heritage of Laos through interactions with local communities along the way.
- Visit ethnic minority villages, where you can learn about their traditional way of life, customs, and handicrafts.
- Immerse yourself in the unique local cuisine, tasting traditional dishes and experiencing the warm hospitality of the locals.
Day 1: Luang Prabang – Nong Khiaw ( L , D)
After breakfast 8:00 AM the guide and private 4wd car will pick up guests from their hotel and drive approximately 2.5 hours to Nong Khiaw. After checking in to the hotel, guests will enjoy lunch at Nong Khiaw Riverside.
After lunch, visit the historical cave of Phathok. The Nong Khiaw villagers used this cave during the “Secret War”, to shelter people from bombs dropped in the region. It is about a 30-minute gentle walk from Nong Khiaw town and passes through beautiful scenery. Guests can learn more about this secret part of Lao history and explore the historical caves with their guide. From the cave, guests will have a beautiful view of rice paddies and the valley. Walk back to Nong Khiaw along a small path through the rice paddies.
Enjoy the sunset over the river. There is a choice of local restaurants within walking distance.
Overnight in Nong Khiaw
Luang Prabang – Nong Khiaw (134 km): 2.5 / 3 hours
Enjoy breakfast overlooking the river as the mist hangs in the valley.
This morning, guests will begin the day early, embarking on a boat cruise up the Nam Ou River at 08:30. Surrounded by towering jungle-covered mountains, the journey is truly spectacular. After about 15 minutes, the cruise arrives at a riverside village, Lao Leum. The guide will provide some fascinating insights into the local lifestyle found in the communities sidling the banks of the Nam Ou River.
From the village, a small trail is followed, passing through the surrounding mountainous landscape. Rice fields, forests and agricultural plantations adorn the trail towards the next highlight, a quaint refreshing waterfall. After an extended break, a 1-hour hike leads to the next village, Sop Vanh, where guests will visit a beautiful local temple and learn about the history of Buddhism.
After lunch and a tour of this traditional Lao-Khamu village, guests will cross over the river by boat to visit a pig farm before returning to Nong Khiaw.
Overnight in Nong KhiawDay 3: Nong Khiaw - Pak Ou Caves - Luang Prabang Departure ( B , L )
After breakfast, travel by private car towards Luang Prabang. Just after a dam, guests can take a boat for a cruise down the spectacular Nam Ou River and enjoy a picnic lunch along the way. Cruising down the river, guests can watch the local fishermen and the lifestyle of the riverside residents.
Stop for a visit to the mysterious Pak Ou Caves, at the confluence of the Nam Ou and Mekong rivers. Locally referred to as ‘Tam Ting’, these two caves are carved out of towering limestone cliffs and contain thousands of gold lacquered Buddha statues.
Continue downstream for another two hours to Luang Prabang, with an optional stop at a local village along the way (guests can discuss this with their guide).
On arrival at the boat pier in Luang Prabang, guests will be picked up for a private transfer to their hotel or the airport.
Nong Khiaw – Nam Ou dam by car (70 km): 2,5 hours
Nam Ou dam – Luang Prabang by boat (50 km): 2 hours
Luang Prabang – Luang Prabang Airport (4 km): 15 min
- Standard 4×4 Pickup
- Material insurance for the car.
- Experienced 4×4 Tour – guide/Mechanic.
- Meals as mentioned: Breakfast = B, Lunch = L and Dinner = D
- Accommodation: Home-stay, Resort , Hotel - 2 nights
- Entrance fee to the sight seeing during the trip.
- Drinking water during the driving time.
- International air tickets.
- Laos visa.
- Hotel in Luang Prabang
- Travel Insurance. All persons are expected to arrange their own insurance. We highly recommend purchasing travel insurance from home.
- Optional Activities
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Beverage and alcoholic drinks.
- Personal expenditure such as telephone, laundry, shopping and any other services not clearly mentioned on.
Please consider the environment before printing